Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Encourage excursion to nation’s museums, Pupils tell school owners


Some school pupils on Thursday in Lagos urged proprietors to encourage their pupils to regularly tour the nation’s museums to enrich knowledge about Nigeria history.

They spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in separate interviews during their excursion to the National Museum Onikan, Lagos.

Miss Shemsiyyah Ibrahim, a pupil of Smilley Kids Montessori School, Sango-Tedo, Lagos, said she was happy to see the instrument used on young girls and women for circumcision in the olden days.

“Immediately I saw that instrument, l started imagining the pains they went through before, during and after the circumcision.

“I think the issue of circumcision is clearer to me now; and above all, I am happy with all I saw, I will like to come back here,” she said.

Also, Master Temiloluwa Odetundun, said, “I saw the pictures of past Prime Ministers and past Presidents of Nigeria whose names we have been hearing, but no picture to march the faces.’’

Odetundun said that he was able to put pictures to every information and knowledge already acquired in school about those names.

“ I saw the pictures of Past Presidents, Heads of State and their Vice Presidents since 1960 to date.

“I saw Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the Prime Minister’s picture, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Gen J.T.U Aguyi Ironsi, Brig. Babafemi Ogundipe, the Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters.

“Gen. Yakubu Gowon, Military Head of State and Vice Adm. Joseph Edet Akinwale, Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters.

“I also saw the picture of Gen. Murtala Ramat Muhammed, the late Military Head of State, Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo and Maj.-Gen. Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, the Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters then.

“Alhaji Shehu Shagari, former President and his vice, Dr Alex Ifeanyichukwu Ekweme; Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari as former Military Head of State and the late Brig. Babatunde Idiagbon, the then Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters.

“I also saw the pictures of Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida as the Military President, Cdr Ebitu Ukiwe, the Chief of General Staff and that of Admiral Augustus Aikhomu, Chief of General Staff.

“I saw Chief Ernest Shonekan picture, the Head of Interim National Government, late Gen. Sani Abacha’s picture as the military Head of State and Lt. Gen. Oladipo Diya, then Chief of General Staff.

“ I think with all I saw in the museum, I believe the stories more now,” he said.

Also, Miss Glory Ewa, a pupil of New Generation Baptist School, Lagos, said that she saw the slave chains used during slave trade era.

“We were told about the story of slave trade in school, and now I have seen the chains used on them, it is so big! I feel like shedding tears,” Ewa said.

Narrating her experience, Miss Fazzilet Siyaka from Itian Bell Schools, Lagos, told NAN that apart from schools, parents should also endeavour to bring their children to the museums.

Siyaka said that this would encourage pupils to learn more at their own leisure.

“I love all I have seen and I will tell my mother to bring me here at least every quarter, so that I can learn more,” she said.

When contacted, Mrs Christine Daniel, the Coordinator, Itian Bell Schools, said that the school had been exposing its pupils to the study of slavery, circumcision, past leaders and more about Nigeria History.

Daniel said that the pupils were at the museum to learn more and prepare them for the studies of the museum in secondary school.

“We have taught them a lot about the History of Nigeria; we brought them here to see all that we have teaching them in classes to enable them to understand better.


Also, Mr Paul Ikposhi, the coordinator of pupils from the New Generation Baptist School, said that the pupils were at the museum to make real everything they had been taught in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment